Director of Communications & Engagement
The Investigative News Network (INN) is a growing consortium of 82 nonprofit journalism organizations producing investigative and public service journalism at the local, state, national and international levels. INN’s mission is to support the editorial work and expand the reach of our members, to promote high journalistic standards and to assist members in developing sustainable business models.
The Investigative News Network is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a fair and diverse workplace.
- To provide resources and technologies that members can leverage to meet their mission
- To foster editorial collaborations that fulfill the potential of the network and achieve the highest levels of impact
- To keep members informed of each other’s work in order to identify potential collaborations, and promote a sense of community
- To provide guidance and assistance to start-up and growth-oriented member organizations
- To provide shared administrative services
- To help community-based members work with similar organizations and with nationally-focused partners to produce stories that could not be done otherwise
- To promote and distribute network content through syndication and partnerships
- To develop business models to support the members’ work on a long-term basis
INN is looking for a communications and social media specialist to lead and manage both the internal and external communications for the organization. The position is responsible for documenting the accomplishments of the network, reporting on news in investigative journalism, overseeing public relations, and training members in technologies and techniques in audience engagement.
- Develop and implement a cohesive marketing, communications and public relations plan to position the network as the primary organization representing the nonprofit news community producing investigative and public-service journalism
- Manage and oversee the production of INN’s regular communications, including the website, newsletters, and social media
- Curate the members’ investigative news content for promotion, syndication and impact
- Write and edit news releases, articles and best-practice guides
- Conduct training sessions with members focused on social media, digital tools and engagement
- Oversee onboarding of new members to the network to familiarize them with all ongoing membership opportunities and programs
- Serve as INN’s initial point of contact with the media
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the CEO/Executive Director
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing or PR preferred
- Minimum three years experience writing & editing in AP style
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and verbal communications
- Familiarity with Wordpress, Google Docs, Twitter, Facebook pages, MailChimp, Google+, Tumblr
- Experience in distance learning, public speaking and/or training preferred
- Some travel required
This is a full-time position, with preference for Los Angeles-area candidates. (Telecommuting considered.)
All qualified applicants should email a cover letter and resume with subject line Engagement Director to email@example.com.